Doctoral fellowship from ED Galilée
The Galilee Doctoral School receives an endowment from the University of 27 doctoral fellowship per year. This funding is awarded following a competition organized by the doctoral school that takes place at least in June.
The application process for a doctoral grant is described on the page Competition for scholarship awards.
Beneficiaries of a doctoral fellowship sign a doctoral contract, the terms of which are defined by Decree No. 2016-1173 of 29 August 2016 amending Decree No. 2009-464 of 23 April 2009 on contractual doctoral candidates in public higher education or research institutions.
The doctoral contract is a 3-year public law contract signed between the University Paris 13 and the PhD student. As the PhD student is a state contract agent, he or she is subject to the obligation to comply with the law on secularism. With regard to vacation, the doctoral contract states: “The contractual doctoral candidate shall be granted vacations as described in Titles III, IV and V of the above-mentioned Decree of 17 January 1986, with the exception of vacation without pay on personal grounds. Annual vacation and unpaid vacation noticed in Article 8-1 of the Decree shall be taken under the conditions applicable to the research unit in which the PhD student carries out his research activity”. For further information, please contact the Human Resources Department of the University of Paris 13.
Foreign contractual doctoral students registered in the 3rd year and who defend their thesis between the end of their doctoral contract (August-September) and 31 December of their 3rd year, may apply to the DRH department for a hosting agreement allowing them to renew their residence permit. The procedure is as follows:
– the PhD student requests a certificate from his thesis director attesting that the PhD student will defend his thesis before 31 December
– the PhD student sends his request for a hosting agreement to this address: attaching the thesis director’s certificate
– he will receive in return his agreement allowing him to apply for his residence permit.
Contract doctoral candidates may carry out additional assignments, such as teaching assignments, which give rise to additional remuneration
CIFRE doctoral fellowship (Industrial Convention for Training through Research)
The purpose of the CIFRE contract is to carry out research work between a company and a public research laboratory that will lead to a thesis defence (http://www.enseignementsup-recherche.gouv.fr/cid22130/les-cifre.html). The doctoral student carries out his thesis in a company by conducting a research program in conjunction with a research laboratory outside the company and his time is shared between the two organizations.
The CIFRE doctoral grant is co-financed by the State and the company.
The CIFRE PhD student is an employee under a private law contract. The doctoral student is recruited by the company on permanent or 3-year fixed-term contracts.
Apart from these doctoral scholarships , you will find below a limited list of diverse sources of funding. You shall also find a funding guide for the PhD on the website of the national association of doctors ANDès (l’Association Nationale des Docteurs).
- ANR project
- CNRS scholarship
- Doctoral scholarship from Ile de France
- Ile-de-France Scholarship for PhD cotutored research
- Marie Curie doctoral contracts
- CNRS Scholarship for developing countries
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs program
- Research contracts for the Atomic Energy Commission
- Doctoral Contracts for the National Aerospacial Energy (ONERA)
- Doctoral contracts for the National Center of Space Studies (CNES)
- Doctoral scholarships DGA
- Companies Philanthropy (see legislation)
Doctoral fundings of PhD students (data 2017)
Extra Funding for foreign doctoral students with a “bourse” scholarship
Since 2013, the doctoral school has been offering foreign students with a “bourse” scholarship, extra funding in the form of a complementary doctoral scholarship i.e. a merit-based grant.
General principles of the merit-based grant :
- There is an annual call for proposals which is open from September to November to all the partnering laboratories of the doctoral school
- Are eligible to the grant, students having been awarded a Master 2 (or equivalent) in a foreign university who are enroling in their first year of their doctoral degree at Galilée doctoral school and already having a main scholarship covering their three years of research. There is no age limit, nor any restrictions regarding nationality for this scholarship.
- This merit-based scholarship is not the main funding for the thesis. In order to be granted such a scholarship, you should already have a scholarship amounting to the minimum set by the ministry of foreign affairs (760€/ month in 2020).
- Its amount is adaptable : it completes the main scholarship so that the total amount of both scholarships is 1200€ maximum net per month.
- The amount of the merit-based scholarship is allotted for 36 monts on a monthly basis. This grant can not be extended by any means beyond the 36th month of the PhD and fhe payment ends at the latest on the date of the defense
- In the case of a cotutoring, the merit-based grant is only given during the stays at our university. It is distributed evenly throughout the year.
- The annual list of candidates who are awarded the merit-based scholarship is set by the bureau of the doctoral school. The bureau takes into account the worth of the schooling as well as the amount requested. This list is then validated by the research commission and by the administrative council of Paris 13.
- The complementary scholarship can be cancelled if the doctoral candidate and the supervisors do not respect the PhD charters.
The call for proposals for 2020-2021 has been opened in September.
The deadline for submission of the application is 11/02/2020
Call 2019 for doctoral grants from the China Scholarship Council – USPC
USPC launchs its 2019 call for the recruitment of Chinese doctoral candidates funded by China (CSC-USPC contracts).
You will find below the text of the call and the application file
The excel file must be named “Pôle-Etablissement-N°ED-DISCIPLINE” (ex: SET-P13-ED146-Sciences des procédés) followed by a number if the laboratory proposes several subjects in the same discipline
This excel file must be returned to the ED secretariat (), with a copy to the ED Direction (), no later than Friday, November 9, 2018.